Student Assistant Employment Program (SAEP)
SAEP Status: No current opportunities
What is it?
Our Student Assistant Employment Program (SAEP) offers paid work experience at Brampton Library for students enrolled full-time in secondary school. Student Assistants are not to be regarded as lower-cost alternatives to regular employees; they are recognized as trainees but are not eligible for part-time benefits.
- Obtain valuable learning opportunities along a structured pathway from the school environment to the world of work
- Develop new skills
- Gain work experience
- Advance professional and personal skills
- Give back to your community
- Enrich your academic program
- Develop employability skills
- Explore interests
- Get insight into a career working in a library
- Explore the potential for future full-time library work
How it works
The SAEP employs Student Assistants on a part-time basis. Brampton Library determines the quantity of hours to be worked and the work schedule, which may vary from time to time. Student Assistants are assigned shelving and any other tasks as needed. Immediate relatives of Brampton Library employees and Brampton Library Board members cannot apply for the SAEP.
Applicants must meet all eligibility criteria to be considered for SAEP.
- Must be a full-time student* enrolled in a secondary school program
- Must be returning to full-time studies in the next academic year (as determined by the secondary school program)
- Must meet the minimum age requirement to work in the province of Ontario
1. Student status*
Student Assistants are defined as employees who are enrolled in a secondary school program. Once the employee graduates from secondary school, they are no longer eligible to be a Student Assistant. Their employment will terminate on the date upon which the employee is enrolled in a post-secondary program or ten (10) weeks following the completion of their secondary schooling. Such termination cannot be the subject of any grievance.
Student assistants must be a minimum of 14 years of age as of January 1 to meet program eligibility requirements.
3. Residency in Ontario/Brampton
Student assistants must be residents of Ontario during the term of their employment.
4. Work status — eligibility to work in Canada
Student assistants must be legally entitled to work in Canada and are required to have a valid Social Insurance Number (SIN) upon being hired. If you do not have a valid SIN and would like to obtain one, please review the Government of Canada website.
*You are required to indicate your student status and age in the application and proof has to be presented at the time of hiring.
You will only be considered for the job posting to which you apply.
Mandatory: You must attach one document with your application form. It is recommended that this document be a cover letter and resume (maximum of 3 pages in PDF, Microsoft Word, Rich Text (.rtf) or Plain Text (.txt)). Use this document to demonstrate your skills and/or experience from school, extracurricular activities and any work or volunteer experience that you may have.
Your completed Application form and document can also be dropped off at the Service Desk at any of our Brampton Library branch locations.
How will I know if my application was received?
- After you submit your application, if you provided a contact email in your application, you will also receive a confirmation email (remember to check your junk and/or spam mail folders).
- Please ensure that you check your clutter, junk and/or spam mail folders regularly throughout the recruitment process to make sure that emails have not mistakenly been directed there. Failure to check may result in your being excluded from the advanced stages of the competition process if Brampton Library’s Human Resources Department or hiring managers are unable to contact you.
If you are concerned that your application was not successfully submitted, we recommend that you submit a second application. We cannot provide assistance with submitting your application after the deadline.
The recruitment process: FAQs
When will I be contacted for an interview?
The application screening process is lengthy; calls for interviews will begin approximately 3 to 10 weeks after the applications deadline.
Please note, due to the high volume of applications received, only applicants that are shortlisted for an interview will be contacted by phone or email.
When contacted for an interview, what do I need to know?
You are advised to follow basic etiquette that would apply to any job interview. Here are some additional tips:
- Be sure to collect all of the information about the interview that you will need, including address, date and time
- Prepare for the interview: do your research, starting online at bramptonlibrary.ca
- Make sure to arrive on time
- Dress appropriately in business attire suitable for working in an office
- Brampton Library interviews are conducted in a formal panel setting. Interviews for student positions will mirror this experience. There may be more than one interviewer.
- The interview is your opportunity to highlight your individual skills and experience at school, work and activities. Think about why you are the best person for the job
- Ask questions!
If you are unable to attend the interview or need to reschedule, please make sure to contact Human Resources at least 24 hours in advance.
It is your decision about which job offer to accept or decline. Please notify Brampton Library’s Human Resources in a timely manner if you choose to decline an offer.
Brampton Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to inclusive barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, Brampton Library will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment process, please inform Brampton Library Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require. Any information received relating to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.